Recommended Lane: Dragon Lane
Lulu Wild Rift Champion Build Guide
Lulu is a yordle mage who known for conjuring dreamlike illusions and enchanted creatures. She is an enchanter support who roams Runeterra with her fairy companion Pix. She has a wide kit which allows her to play offensively and defensively with equal effectiveness. She is a strong support pick whether you are playing solo, duo, or as a team.
Pix fires a barrage of 3 bolts that deal a total of 15 magic damage (15+ 15% AP) at whaever Lulu attacks. These bolts can be blocked by other units.
Pix can attach to other champions by casting some of Lulu’s abilities, revealing them if they are an enemy or aiding their attacks instead of Lulu’s if they are an ally.
Lulu and Pix each fire a piercing bolt that deals 50 magic damage (50 + 30% AP) to the first enemy hit and 70% damage to additional enemies. Enemies hit are slowed by 80%, decaying over the next 2 seconds.
Pix creates a faerie ring, attaching to the first champion that enters for 5 seconds and casting an additional effect on them.
On Allies: Grants 30% Movement Speed (30 + 5% AP) and 25% Attack Speed for 3.5 seconds.
On Enemies: Polymorphs the enemy for 1.25 seconds, disabling them from attacking or casting abilities and reducing their base Movement Speed to 60.
Pix’s ring will prioritize polymorphing enemies over speeding up allies.
Attaches Pix to target enemy or ally champion for 5 seconds.
On Allies: Grants a shield that absorbs 70 damage (70 + 60% AP) for 5 seconds.
On Enemies: Deals 80 magic damage(80 + 40% AP).
Enlarges an ally champion, knocking nearby enemies into the air for 0.75 second(s). For the next 7 seconds, the ally champion gains 300 bonus Health (300 + 50% AP) and slows nearby enemies by 30%.
Tap to cast on self.
Innate Passive: Pix, Faerie Companion
Pix attacks with three magical bolts whoever Lulu, or the ally he’s attached to, auto-attacks. Pix’s attacks hit the first unit they collide with so it can be blocked using minions or by other champions.
Pix can attach to enemies and allies through Lulu’s W, Whimsy, and E, Help Pix!
Pix also attacks the enemy he is attached to when Lulu attacks that enemy so it will be almost impossible to avoid or block.
When attached to an ally, it works as an attack boost to your ally. It increases your ally’s DPS by a great deal and its effectiveness increases the faster your ally’s attack speed is.
If Pix kills a minion or a champion while attached to your ally, your ally will be credited with the kill so don’t worry about stealing last hits from your ADC.
If you need to clear a wave fast, target the minions behind so Pix will hit the minions up front while you damage those at the damage.
Pix waits for Lulu to move away from him a certain distance before following so you can slightly influence his positioning by moving to the side, which is important to increase the AoE of your Q, Glitterlance.
Q | Ability 1: Glitterlance
Glitterlance is a great poking tool and it is a soft crowd control skill that slows by 80%, a huge amount.
Both Lulu and Pix launch 1 piercing bolt and you can influence where the bolts go by manipulating where you target the bolts whether near or far. It is far more important to hit many enemies than hit one enemy with two bolts because you are a support who wants to influence the battle, not simply deal damage.
Once you reach enough proficiency with Lulu, you might be able to hit two or more enemies who are far away from each other.
Targeting Glitterlance is more important if Pix is sent to an ally or an enemy because he will send his piercing bolt from his current location which will make it more or less harder, depending on the situation, to hit an enemy with two bolts or to hit more enemies with the bolts in general.
If Pix is attached to an enemy, the Glitterlance that he will fire will surely hit the enemy because it will fire at a point-blank distance. Drag the ability to a target location if you want to hit more than one enemy with it.
You can fire an extra long-range Glitterlance by sending Pix forward using W, Whimsy. This combo is useful for sniping down low-health enemies or canceling recalls to delay their reset. You can also send Whimsy forward in bushes to catch them off guard with a surprising multi-directional Glitterlance.
W | Ability 2: Whimsy
Pix creates a faerie ring that attaches Pix to the first champion that enters the ring. The Pix’s ring will prioritize attaching to enemies over allies.
When Whimsy affects an enemy, they become polymorphed, meaning; they turn into another form, an animal that cannot attack or cast abilities and has a reduced movement speed.
When Whimsy affects an ally, they receive bonus movement speed and attack speed.
As a general rule, prioritize using Whimsy to enemies to polymorph them because it is a strong crowd control. This is especially true if the enemy has a strong assassin like Lee Sin, Zed, Akali, or Fizz. If they are polymorphed near your team, they will be more often than not, dead.
Only use Whimsy on your ADC to increase their damage output when cleaning up team fights which means that the enemies have used their strong abilities already. The Whimsy buff is also useful when taking down Drakes, Baron, or turrets.
Remember that Whimsy also increases the target’s movement speed so use it on escaping allies and to chase down enemies when they are out of reach so you are unable to polymorph them.
Whimsy is your panic button, if you are jumped, tap this ability to turn the champion near you into a critter.
E | Ability 3: Help, Pix!
Help, Pix! is a targeted shielding ability for allies and a damaging spell for enemies.
Help, Pix! Is an instant cast spell so use it reflexively to shield your ally against unavoidable attacks.
Also, immediately use it on enemies with invisibility, Wukong, Akali, Vayne, so they won’t be able to outplay your team with their invisibility.
The rule of thumb to follow with Help, Pix! is to use on your allies as a shield more often than to damage enemies.
In the laning phase, your ADC can provide the damage but if they have to recall, they’ll be able to dish less damage, get less gold, and less experience. So, use this ability to shield than to damage.
Help, Pix! is the only ability in Lulu’s kit that can activate the effects of Ardent Censer, Harmonic Echo, and Athene’s Unholy Grail.
The only time where damaging the enemy is better than shielding an ally is when you are the only one in range to secure a kill or to slow down an enemy that is nearing its death with an E + Q combo.
Spam Help, Pix! on allies for easy assists, you’ll gain an assist even when Ezreal or Jinx kills an enemy half a map away.
R | Ultimate: Wild Growth
Wild Growth enlarges an ally champion or Lulu herself and knocks up enemies immediately upon casting. The enlarged champion gains bonus health and slows nearby enemies.
Wild Growth is used to:
- Follow-up on an initiation. Wild Growth is amazing when paired with a good initiation champion like Malphite, Amumu, or Jarvan IV because she can extend the crowd control the enemy team will receive. After the enemies come down from being knocked up or after they are stunned, they are met with a persisting slow and an enlarged AoE of the giantified champion. Again, wait for your ally’s crowd control to be almost over before casting Wild Growth for maximum efficiency.
- To save allies. Do not hesitate to use your ultimate to save a fleeing ally. Wild Growth’s HP increase is not counted as healing so Grievous Wounds do not affect it so it is a good counter to Ignite.
- Use it on yourself to initiate. Although this is not a conventional one because as an Enchanter you want to stay back, you can use Wild Growth on yourself to initiate if you find yourself in a favorable position. Just make sure that your team can immediately follow up on you.
Lulu Build Recommendation
Here are Item Build Recommedations that works on Lulu
This is the standard build for Lulu which focuses on increasing her capabilities as a support.
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity grants ability haste which reduces the cooldown of your abilities and it also reduces the cooldown of your summoner spells. Upgrade with the Locket Enchant immediately for the added team shield on demand which you will acquire right before the first Drake spawn.
- Ardent Censer is the first core item for Lulu. This item grants the Censer passive which will imbue you and the ally targeted with E, Help Pix! bonus attack speed and bonus magic damage on your attacks.
- Zeke’s Convergence is the second core item for Lulu. This item grants the Harbinger and Frostfire Covenant passive which imbues a nearby ally’s attacks with bonus magic damage and you with a self-AoE blizzard which slows down enemies and deals magic DPS upon casting your ultimate.
- Harmonic Echo is your first defensive item. This item grants Harmonic Echo which adds a healing effect to your E, Help Pix! when shielding allies. If you are losing in your lane, consider building this as your first or second core item.
- Athene’s Unholy Grail is another item that grants extra healing to your E, Help Pix! The difference is that Harmonic Echo is charged through moving, attacking, and casting while Athene’s is charged by damaging enemies.
- Protector’s Vow grants a shield when you or a nearby ally is damaged and it provides a small movement speed bonus when activated. This is a great item against burst damage champions and consider building it earlier if the enemy’s assassin is fed.
This item build is for a mid mage Lulu. With this build, Lulu can deal a lot of damage and still dish out good utility for her team.
- Liandry’s Torment is a great core item for Lulu because its Torment passive which imbues damaging abilities and empowered attacks with bonus magic DPS based on the enemies max health is easily activatable with Lulu’s innate passive.
- Nashor’s Tooth is your next core item for Lulu because it also synergizes with Lulu’s passive. The faster attack speed will also increase the rate of fire of Pix’s attacks plus it grants you bonus magic damage on your own attacks.
- Rabadon’s Deathcap grants a massive increase in your AP and so to your damage output.
- Rylai’s Crystal Scepter grants a slowing effect to your abilities so you can stay on top of your enemies much easier. You can instantly slow enemies using your E, Help Pix! and bring them to an almost stop by following it with your Q, Glitterlance.
- Void Staff provides the highest amount of armor penetration which will help you shred tanks. Build Morellonomicon instead when fighting against champions with high amounts of sustain.
- Aery enhances both your poke damage and shielding values. Plus, it doesn’t have a cooldown so it efficiently buff your numbers.
- Weakness applies a debuff when you slow, polymorph, or knock-up enemies which will make them receive 5% more damage from all sources.
- Loyalty increases the dual resistances of you and the nearest ally.
- Hunter – Genius grants bonus ability haste for each unique takedown.
- Conqueror grants bonus damage up to five stacks. Upon having max stacks, you’ll gain another 10% on top of the initial bonus. This is perfect for a Mid Lulu because you’ll be auto attacking a lot.
- Brutal provides bonus AP and magic penetration.
- Second Wind grants bonus HP regeneration and restores a percentage of your missing health whenever you are damaged by the enemy.
Exhaust is the standard summoner spell for a support Lulu which you will take when the enemy has no healing abilities and/or the enemy has a burst damage champion. The attack damage reduction from exhaust messes up combos and the slow can be used to escape or secure kills.
Choose Ignite when playing as a mid laner and/or the enemy champions has a lot of healing/sustain abilities in which case choose this spell even when playing as a support because it applies Grievous Wounds which reduces the healing values the affected target receive.
Lulu has no mobility ability of her own so Flash is necessary for escaping.
E, Help Pix! is maxed first because you’ll want the increased shield value to keep your ADC healthy. Maxing W, Whimsy or Q, Glitterlance is your personal preference but W, Whimsy is preferred because it increases the duration of the polymorph and increases the attack speed buff as well and the slow value for Q, Glitterlance stays the same from level 1-4. Get a point in your ultimate whenever possible.
When playing as a mid laner, Q, Glitterlance is maxed first so you can clear your lane fast. W, Whimsy is maxed second so you can polymorph the enemy for longer periods or buff yourself with stronger attack speed and movement speed bonuses.
Lulu Early Game Guide
When playing as a support, your goal in the laning phase is to keep your ADC healthy while poking the enemy so they’ll be discouraged from last hitting and harassing you.
Use your Q, Glitterlance and auto attacks to harass the enemy and if the enemy fights back simply tap your E, Help Pix! to shield yourself and mitigate the enemy’s damage.
Don’t forget to react to enemy pokes in time to shield your ADC against damage with E, Help Pix!
If an enemy overextends to fight you or makes a mistake, use your W, Whimsy to turn them into a critter and kill try to kill them.
Make sure to ward bushes near you and near the Drakes one minute before it spawns. If you have no ward available, switch to oracle and sweep the location near you. Before your first back, ward the Dragon Pit then recall and switch to Oracle lenses. Switch back to vision wards on your next recall.
When playing as a mid laner, clear your wave fast. Play safe because you lack natural self-peeling and mobility spells so do not overextend if you are not aware of the enemy jungler’s position. You are weak alone even as a mid laner so play together with your Jungler and assist him in taking Scuttlers, Drakes, and Rift Herald.
Lulu Late Game Guide
Always stay behind your teammates and near your ADC on all stages of the game. This is especially true in the late game where you might get caught up chasing an enemy and leave your ADC vulnerable to ganks.
Your W, Whimsy shines this time because your ADC will become untouchable through you by easily punish any enemy that will try to flank you and your ADC.
Keep an eye on your initiator at all times and be ready to follow up with your ultimate, Wild Growth. Do not hesitate to use your ultimate in the other situations describes in the ability guide.
Kai’sa is an attack speed based champion who shines with Lulu because she can play extra aggressively with her. She has a short range so she is vulnerable against poke but Lulu’s E, Help Pix! will help her survive the laning phase healthily. She greatly benefits from W, Whimsy‘s attack speed bonus and she can destroy the enemy team with a well-timed ultimate, Killer Instinct together with Wild Growth.
Vayne is another attack speed based champion who benefits from Lulu’s kit. She can easily follow up polymorph with her E, Condemn. Like Kai’sa, she greatly benefits from the shielding from E, Help Pix!, from the attack speed bonus of W, Whimsy, and her ultimate, Final Hour also works well with Wild Growth.
Amumu does an amazing combo together with Lulu because his Q, Bandage Toss + ultimate, Curse of the Sad Mummy combo works wonder with Wild Growth. The enemy will be knocked up after the stun and Amumu will be able to stay on top of enemies thanks to the slow from her ultimate. For the same reasons, Malphite, Jarvan IV, and Wukong pairs well with Lulu.
Blitzcrank is a major threat in lane when using Lulu. Make sure to stay behind minions so you’ll minimize the chances of being hooked. If Blitzcrank missed a hook, capitalize on it by harassing him during its cooldown period which is about 20-15 seconds.
Alistar also has immense kill pressure in the early game so make sure to keep your distance and stay away from your ADC. It is better if you are further away than your ADC so you can counterplay with shielding your ADC with E, Help Pix! and transforming Alistar with W, Whimsy once he engages.
Nami is a strong counterpick to Lulu. She has a heal while you do not. She can also imbue her allies with bonus attack damage and it slows. She counters your slows with her bonus movement speed which she can apply to her allies and her ultimate, Tidal Wave is a great counter initiation ability that can render your ultimate when used as an initiation tool, useless.
Here are some pros and cons if you are playing with Lulu in Wild Rift.
- Lulu has a loaded kit as a support. Her two abilities, W, Whimsy, and E, Help Pix! can be both used on allies and enemies. She has three crowd controls, a slow, polymorph, and an AoE knockup, she can shield her allies and increase their attack and movement speed. She can also increase her ally’s health. Her versatility alone makes her a strong, safe pick for most games.
- She provides enough damage output in all stages of the game even when played as a full support.
- Lulu has great team fight utility. She helps in killing and she can protect her allies well. She is in fact, one of the best anti-assassin champion in the game right now.
- Lulu can only shine when playing with good teammates, even when played in the middle lane. She is only strong through her teammates.
- She is, like all other Enchanters, weak and vulnerable alone. She has no effective disengage tool aside from her W, Whimsy which won’t be enough to save her if she’s alone.
- Lulu can be a little overwhelming due to her loaded kit. She requires practice and experience to play her effectively.
FAQ's About Lulu
How good is Lulu in Wild Rift?
Lulu is an (Tier A) champion. She is currently one of the best champions to counter assassins in this assassin meta and she effective in most matchups and contribute well to your team.
What role / lane should I play with Lulu in Wild Rift?
Lulu is a great support enchanter. She can also be played as a mid lane mage.
What abilities do I level up with Lulu?
Max your E, Help Pix! first when playing as an Enchanter Support. Max Q, Glitterlance if playing as a mid laner. W, Whimsy is usually maxed second in either role.
What items should I build with Lulu?
When playing as a support, rush Ionian Boots of Lucidity then immediately upgrade with the Locket Enchant. Ardent Censer is a must buy because it increases your ADC’s attack speed and it even adds bonus magic damage! Plus, those buffs will apply to you as well! Build Zeke’s Convergence or Harmonic Echo next.
When playing in the middle lane Liandry’s Torment and Nashor’s Tooth provides amazing AP type DPS.
What Runes should I use when playing as Lulu?
Aery increases the enchanter Lulu’s offensive and defenses capabilities equally. Conqueror is the Keystone Rune for a mid lane Lulu. Refer to the Rune guide section for the minor runes.
Should I polymorph the enemy or buff my ADC?
If there is a big threat like assassins or fed enemy champion, reserve your W, Whimsy for them. Once they are taken care of, buff your ADC to your heart’s content.