Recommended Lane: Dragon Lane
Alistar a mighty warrior with a fearsome reputation, he fights in the name of the downtrodden and the disadvantaged, his rage as much a weapon as his horns, hooves and fists. Alistar is a tank support champion which excels in initiation, zoning, and peeling for his team.
When Alistar takes damage, he heals himself for 20 HP and nearby allied champions for 40 HP.
Knocking up or stunning champions with Alistar’s abilities reduces the cooldown by 8 seconds.
Deals 60 magic damage (60 +50% AP) to nearby enemies and knocks them up for 1 second(s).
Dashes toward an enemy, dealing 55 magic damage (55 + 60% AP) and knocking them back.
May target turrets to deal 150% bonus damage.
Deals 100 magic damage (100 +40% AP) to nearby enemies over 5 seconds. If Trample damages an enemy champion 5 times, Alistar’s next attack within 5 seconds is empowered to deal an additional 40 magic damage and stuns for 1 second.
Only one stack can be gained per tick.
Removes crowd control effects and gain 55% damage reduction for 7 seconds.
Innate: Triumphant Roar
Alistar heals himself and nearby champions whenever he or his allies are damaged. I don’t know if this is intended but the tool tip indicates that the heal should only activate when Alistar is the one who is damaged but it also activates when a teammate near him is damaged.
Triumphant Roar has a long cooldown but it is reduced every time Alistar lands a CC on enemy champions. Hitting 4 champions with the same or different crowd control will refresh or nearly refresh its cooldown.
This passive does not immediately activate when the lost HP of Alistar or his teammate has is less than the amount amounto of heal they are going to receive.
Q / Ability 1: Pulverize
Pulverize is an AoE magic damage ability which knocks up all enemies affected. It has a fairly large AoE which can easily be used to knock up 2 or more champions.
Pulverize can be activated while casting Headbutt to interrupt the knock back effect of the latter ability. This is Alistar’s main combo. Keep in mind that you should cast Pulverize when the Headbutt animation is ongoing because if you cast it late, you will mess up the combo and make the enemy fly away to safety.
W / Ability 2: Headbutt
Headbutt is a targeted dash that deals magic damage and knocks back the enemy he hits. The casting animation for this ability is so fast, most enemies won’t have the time to react to a Headbutt + Pulverize combo.
Headbutt can be used on turrets and it will deal 50% more damage to it.
Headbutt is also an exceptional peeling tool. If an enemy with a strong kill potential or huge gold lead dives your carry, immediately use Headbutt to knock it away. It is a judgment call whether to knock the enemy away or to followup with Pulverize and go in for a kill. If your team is low or have your abilities in cooldown, knocking the enemy away is the safer choice.
E / Ability 3: Trample
Trample deals AoE DPS around Alistar for a few seconds. If the AoE DPS damages an enemy champion, he gains a stack and once he gains five stacks, his next auto attack deal bonus magic damage and stun the enemy he strikes with his auto attack.
This is Alistar’s main zoning tool. Enemy champions will be forced to back away when this ability is active because they will be receiving magic DPS and the threat of an impending stun.
Get your stacks on the enemy bruiser or tank then when the stacks are almost complete, do a W + Q combo to an enemy champion near you, not the tank but preferably a priority target or a squishy carry. After the knock up, you’ll be able to further hold down the enemy champion with the stun.
Alistar only gets one stack for the Trample’s stun regardless if he hits one champion or five.
R / Ultimate: Unbreakable Will
Once Alistar activates Unbreakable Will, crowd control effects are removed from him and he gains a massive amount of damage reduction for a short duration.
This is great for doing tower dives because it will make Alistar able to take almost twice the amount of turret hits before he dies.
The crucial thing to understand about Unbreakable Will is when to activate it because Alistar is a god-like tanker with it and he becomes kind of vulnerable without it. It takes experiences when to know when to activate it but here are some tips in this matter:
- Activate when you will be in the receiving end of a strong ability.
For example, Jhin activates Curtain Call mid fight and you’ll want to tank his ultimate so your team won’t have to disperse and give up an objective.
- When your team is about to tower dive like stated above.
- When you initiate and go for an all-in team fight.
- When the enemy team initiates and they’re going to do a wombo-combo.
Standard knock-Up: W + Q
Knock the enemy into your team/turret: Flash + Q + W
Stun Combo: E (fill stacks) + W + Q + AA
Alistar Build Recommendation
Here are Item Build Recommedation that works on Alistar
This is the standard build for Alistar. This will offer a lot of utility and survivability for you and your team.
- Zeke’s Convergence – This item’s passive Harbinger slows the enemy and enhanced your ally’s attack to burn the enemy when you activate your ultimate which grants a huge power spike to your killing potential.
- Protector’s Vow – The Protector Passive from this item is a great counter to burst damage champions because it grants a shield to you and to a nearby ally a shield, bonus HP, AP, and movement speed.
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity – This boots provides cooldown reduction which is perfect when your duo lane is ahead and are playing aggressively. If playing an equal or losing lane, Mercury’s Treads or Ninja Tabis are a better option. Upgrade with the Locket Enchant for the team shield on demand or upgrade with the Gargoyle Enchant to increase your own survivability in team fights.
- Dead Man’s Plate – Increase your kill pressure with the added movement speed from this item as well as bonus damage and slow on your first attack.
- Abyssal Mask – This item increases your HP, magic resist, grants sustain bonus, and increases the magic damage received by enemies around you.
- Randuin’s Omen – Best item to get in the late game to counter AD carries because attacking you when you have this item equipped will slow their attack speed and reduce their critical damage output.
This is a meme build but it works in some instances plus it’s a heck lot of fun to wreck enemies using an angry cow. You will deal tons of AoE magic damage with this built and with the proper timing in using Unbreakable Will, you will still be a little tanky.
- Lich Bane – Increases your burst damage by empowered your next attack after casting an ability with bonus magic damage.
- Rabadon’s Deathcap – Provides tons of AP to increase your overall magic damage. This item is hefty but it is a worth buy in the early mid game phase because it is when most of your enemies are still without magic resist items.
- Infinity Orb – Makes your abilities deal critical damage to low HP targets. This will turn all your abilities into burst damage execution skills.
- Morellonomicon – Grants a little magic penetration and adds the Grievous Wounds effect to your damaging abilities.
- Void Staff – Increase your damage output against tanks with the high magic penetration stat this item provides.
- Aftershock – Grants bonus dual resistance upon affecting an enemy champion with crowd control. After a brief moment, he will deal a burst of magic damage around him based on his max HP. Electrocute is the alternative Keystone Rune for the mage build for the extra burst damage when doing combos.
- Weakness – Enemies controlled by Alistar will take more damage from all sources for a short while. Brutal will increase Alistar’s AP and magic penetration if you wish to do the mage build.
- Loyalty – Increase your dual resistance as well as your ally’s. Spirit Walker will grant you a flat bonus HP and slow resistance.
- Pack Hunter – Grants you bonus movement speed when near an ally. Each takedown with a unique ally will grant both of you bonus gold. Hunter – Genius on the other hand will grant you bonus CDR for each unique takedown.
Alistar wants to play his lane aggressively and Ignite will help him secure his kills. Also, it counters the Heal spell because Ignite applies Grievous Wounds to the affected target.
Flash is necessary for superior positioning and initiation.
We are going to max Q, Pulverize first because it is an AoE burst damage crowd control ability. Next to be prioritized is W, Headbutt to reduce its cooldown and it deals a substantial amount against towers. E, Trample is maxed last because its damage is underwhelming and we just want it for the stun effect. Get a point in his ultimate, Unbreakable Will, when possible.
Alistar Early Game Guide
Alistar Late Game Guide
The kill pressure on a Jhin and Alistar lane is immense. Jhin can easily add a follow up CC and his burst damage is strong and reliable. Alistar helps a lot with Jhin’s issue of being immobile all throughout the game because Alistar is an amazing peeler.
Braum stalemates Alistar’s pressure in the laning phase because he is equally tanky and he provides a lot of utility. In this match up, who’s ADC scales better will determine the game.
Here are some pros and cons if you are playing with Alistar in Wild Rift.
- Alistar is a great all around support tank which provides a lot of utility and tanking for his team. He has an AoE heal, a stun, a knock up, a knock back, a dispel, and damage reduction.
- He requires little to no items to be effective. He doesn’t need much to be tanky and can happily give all possible resources to his teammates and still be effective.
- Tower diving with Alistar is stupid easy.
- Alistar is not that tanky in team fights when he doesn’t have his ultimate and using Unbreakable Will in the wrong time will be the death of him.
- You will sometimes mess up the W + Q combo and fling the enemy into safety and that will tilt your allies for sure.
- You will play around your cooldowns and the enemy team will do the same thing against you.
Patch 1.1 ( 12-08-2020 )
In This Patch Riots making a slight tweak to Abilitly Headbutt’s timing to promote more variety in Alistar’s beefy plays.
Ability 2 – HEADBUTT
Cooldown: 13/12/11/10s → 14/12.5/11/9.5s