Recommended Lane: Baron Lane
Malcolm Graves is a renowned mercenary, gambler, and thief. He has an explosive temper but he possesses a strict sense of criminal honor. Graves is a Marksman/Fighter mix which is played mostly in the Jungle and he has a unique auto attack mechanic which makes him a very fresh take on the game.
Graves’ shotgun has some unique properties:
Double Barrel: Graves must reload when he runes out of ammo. Attack speed reduces reload time slighty, but reduces time between attacks dramatically.
12 Gauge: Attacks fire 4 bullets. Units hit take 72% physical damage +33% for additional bullets. Critical Strikes fire 6 bullets and increase each bullet’s damage by 40%. Structures only take 75% damage.
Buckshot: Bullets cannot pass through enemy units. Non-champions struck by multiple bullets are knocked back slightly.
Fires a powder round that deals 45 physical damage (45 +40% bonus AD) and then detonates after 1.5s to deal an additional 85 physical damage (85 +100% bonus AD).
Detonates in 0.25s if the round hits terrain.
Throws a canister that creates a cloud of smoke for 4 seconds. Enemies within the smoke cannot see outside of it.
Enemies caught in the initial impact take 60 magic damage (60 +60% AP) and are slowed by 50% for 0.5 seconds.
Dashes in a direction, reloading one shell and granting True Grit for 4 seconds. True Grit grants 4 Armor (stacks 8 times) and refreshes when damaging non-minions.
Dashing towards an enemy champion grants 2 stacks of True Grit. Each bullet hit on an attack reduces Quickdraw’s cooldown by 0.5 seconds.
Fires an explosive shell that deals 250 physical damage (250 +150% bonus AD) and knocks Graves back from recoil. The shell explodes upon hitting an enemy champion or reaching the end of its range, dealing 200 physical damage (200 +120% bonus AD) in a cone.
Enemies damaged by the shell’s initial impact do not take damage from the explosive cone.
Innate: New Destiny
The auto attack of Graves is unique. He uses a shotgun with two barrels. He has to reload after 2 shots. The time between those shots and to reload is influenced by attack speed.
His attacks spray in a small AoE. Enemies close to his shot will be hit by more bullets but receives less damage for each additional bullet. Each bullet can only hit an enemy once.
Non-champions hit by Graves’s auto attack are knocked back when hit by multiple bullets. This allows Graves to easily kite jungle camps and maintain high HP levels. Remember to kite towards the next jungle camp in order to maintain his ability 3, Quickdraw stacks.
Your auto attacks are considered as skill shot projectiles so the enemy tanks can body block your auto attacks. When facing a team composition with multiple tanks, consider doing the bruiser build so you will be able to shred enemy tanks while being able to tank some damage as well.
Q / Ability 1: End of the Line
End of the Line is an AoE damage ability which has two phases. The first phase is the damage going out. This is easy to hit but deals less damage. The second phase is when the bullet returns after a while which deals more damage. The second phase activates faster when the bullet hits a wall.
Because of its mechanic which makes the bullet return faster when hitting a wall, it is efficient to always try to use End of the Line when the enemy’s back against a wall in order to burst them down. You can position yourself to do so with the help of your E, Quickdraw.
W / Ability 2: Smoke Screen
Smoke Screen is a soft crowd control which briefly slows affected opponents and makes them nearsighted. Nearsighted opponents will only be able to see inside the smoke screen.
Use Smoke Screen as a soft zoning tool in the jungle and in clashes. As a zoning tool, you will discourage enemies to walk through the smoke screen because they will be punished if they’ll go through it.
Throwing Smoke Screen in the middle of the clash disorients the enemy and make them unable to dodge skill shots. Additionally, most players will choose to run away from the smoke screen which will give your time to hit them while they try to escape the Smoke Screen.
E / Ability 3: Quickdraw
Quickdraw is Graves mobility ability. It is a short dash which can be used to pass through narrow walls. He gains bonus armor, Grit, for each cast and gains twice the stack when Quickdraw is casted towards an enemy champion. The bonus armor stacks up to eight times and can be maintained by damaging non-minions. (Champions, jungle monsters, Epic monsters, towers).
Casting Quickdraw grants Graves an extra ammo charge and each bullet that hits an enemy reduces the cooldown of Quickdraw by half a second.
Quickdraw is essential for kiting with Graves and for placing him in the perfect position to cast his Q, End of the Line.
The bonus armor, Grit, only last for a short while. Maintaining Grit stacks is essential for an easy early game for Graves so remember to kite the jungle camps towards the next camp to reduce down time between clearing them and maintain the Grit stacks at a high amount.
R / Ultimate: Collateral Damage
Collateral Damage is an another AoE burst damage ability. It has a decent range on it and can be used to snipe escaping enemies. However, the damage from the initial hit is stronger and is a good addition to Graves burst damage combo.
Combo: W + AA (auto attack) + E + Q + AA + R
Graves Build Recommendation
Here are Item Build Recommedation that works on Graves
This is the standard build with Graves in the jungle which makes him a strong bruiser that is effective against tanks and carries alike.
- Black Cleaver – This item is OP with Graves because each bullet procs its Sunder Passive, which means it can take only one or two shots to get the max 24% armor reduction.
- Phantom Dancer – Always get at least one attack speed and critical damage item on Graves because it interacts well with his passive. Plus, the Lifeline passive works tremendously well in duels.
- Mercury’s Treads – Helps against spell casters with its magic resist and crowd control resist bonus. Build Ninja Tabi instead when facing AD heavy team compositions. Upgrade with the Stasis Enchant to counter burst damage heroes or Quicksilver Enchant to counter those with strong crowd controls.
- Guardian Angel – The resurrect passive is just annoying to deal with. Graves already has enough survivability in his kit and this item just turns him into downright frustrating to deal with.
- Death’s Dance – This item will make Graves extra hard to kill because of the physical vamp and Cauterize passive which turns a portion of burst damage into DPS.
- Mortal Reminder – Grants the highest amount of armor penetration and applies Grievous Wounds as well. Buy an early Executioner’s Calling, its item component, to counter early game high sustain champions like Dr. Mundo.
This build increases the burst damage of Graves by a lot, turning him into a potent assassin capable of deleting enemy carries fast. The downside to this build is it makes Graves squishy and vulnerable against enemy tanks and bruisers.
- Youmuu’s Ghostblade – Provides damage, armor penetration, and the Momentum Passive which grants movement speed bonus and bonus magic damage. Activating an attack that expends max Momentum also activates Spectral Haste which grants additional attack speed.
- Duskblade of Draktharr – The Nightstalker passive grants additional physical damage when being unseen for a second. This passive activates when the enemy stays inside your W, Smoke Screen so you’ll be able to activate this ability twice in a single fight.
- Fleet Footwork – Works well with Graves’s kiting play style because of the movement speed bonus it provides. Electrocute is best for the Assassin build for the additional burst damage.
- Brutal – Grants additional damage and armor penetration.
- Hunter – Titan – Grants additional HP and crowd control resist for every unique take down.
- Mastermind – Essential for Junglers because of the additional damage to Epic monsters and turrets. Plus, you’ll get additional gold for taking down objectives.
Smite is required for a jungler to play its role effectively. It is almost impossible to jungle without the Smite spell. Upgrade into the Blue Smite when in a favorable matchup against non duelist champions like Amumu and Upgrade into the Red Smite when against strong duelist junglers like Olaf or Master Yi.
Flash is a good spell for Graves even if he is fairly mobile because it allows him to escape when in a dangerous situation when collapsed in by the enemy team.
The first point goes to E, Quickdraw, for the Grit armor bonus so Graves will be able to maintain a healthy amount of HP throughout his early game clear. The first ability to be maxed is Q, End of the Line, to increase our burst damage output. Then E, Quickdraw, to increase the bonus armor. The last ability to be maxed is W, Smoke Screen, because it provides enough utility even on its first level only. Get a point of Collateral Damage whenever possible.
Graves Early Game Guide
Graves Late Game Guide
Janna is a great support for Graves because she has the team fighting utilities which Graves has not and its E, Eye of the Storm, buff works well with Graves’s auto attacks.
Marksmen are Evelynn’s favorite prey and Graves is no exception. Try to ward their jungle to keep track of her path and avoid her at all cost. Buy an early hexdrinker and upgrade into Maw of Malmortius because you have no natural counter to her AP burst damage.
Here are some pros and cons if you are playing with Graves in Wild Rift.
- Graves is the most effective marksman jungle so far. He is strong at all stages of the game and he scales extremely well into the late game. A common problem with junglers is that their effectiveness falls in the late game but Graves is an exception to this because he is a marksman as well.
- Due to Graves’s AoE and burst damage nature, he clears his jungle fast and he can recover from a bad early game quickly.
- High survivability and mobility for a Marksman.
- Graves has no hard CC, so aside from his AoE burst damage, he brings nothing else to team fights.
- He is a high risk marksman because he is required to fight close to his enemies to deal his maximum damage.
- He can be hard countered by tanks because of his auto attack’s nature.