Recommended Lane: Baron Lane
Dr. Mundo Wild Rift Champion Build Guide
He is brutal. He is unpredictable. He goes where he pleases. He is also not, technically, a doctor. Dr. Mundo is a tank that deals an incredible amount of DPS while being able to regenerate his own health fast. He is great at all lanes but this guide will focus on him as a jungler because of his oppressive early game which can rival meta junglers like Lee Sin and Xin Zhao.
Regenerates 1% of missing Health each second.
Hurls a cleaver, dealing 16% of the target’s current Health as magic damage (no less than 70) and slowing them by 40% for 2 seconds.
If the cleaver hits, 50% of the health cost is refunded (100% if the cleaver kills).
Toggle: Sets Dr. Mundo on fire, dealing 40 magic damage (40 + 20% AP) to nearby enemies every second.
While on fire, the duration of disables against Dr. Mundo are reduced by 12%.
Passive: When Dr. Mundo suffers magic damage or pays a health cost, his Magic Resist is increased by 3% for 2 seconds, up to maximum of 15%.
Active: Gains up to 60 attack damage for 5 seconds based on his missing health. Empowers the next attack to deal an additional 21 physical damage (3% of max HP) at the cost of 25 health.
Regenerates 345 health (50% max HP) over 10 seconds, and gains 15% Movement Speed for the Duration.
Innate: Adrenaline Rush
Dr. Mundo’s innate passive lets him farm the jungle camps easily without worrying about his health. When combined with the blue buff’s out of battle healing effect, he won’t need to recall to base to heal but only to buy items.
Q | Ability 1: Infected Cleaver
Infected Cleaver deals HP-based damage. This ability also slows down the affected target. This ability is great in chasing down opponents and chipping down HP of enemy tanks.
Unlike when laning, a Jungler Dr. Mundo can spam this ability carelessly because he will regenerate the health cost fast anyway.
Dr. Mundo will stop for a short while when casting Infected Cleaver so aim the ability well or else risk losing your target.
W | Ability 2: Burning Agony
Burning Agony is an AoE DPS which has great synergy with Sunfire Aegis. The combined DPS from these two will make you able to deal ample amount of damage just by staying on top of your enemies.
When you get your Spirit Visage, you’ll be able to walk around even without deactivating Burning Agony except when you want to regenerate back to full health.
The DPS health cost is a good way to fill up the passive magic resist from your E, Masochism. Along with the additional crowd control resistance, these are the reasons why you’ll want to activate Burning Agony even before reaching your enemy.
E | Ability 3: Masochism
Masochism is Dr. Mundo’s main source of DPS. It increases your auto attack damage output along with an additional bonus damage on the first attack on cast that increases based on your missing HP.
Masochism is an auto attack reset which means that you can do a “double attack” by auto attacking then immediately pressing E and attacking again.
Additionally, each instance of magic damage Dr. Mundo receives, including the health costs he pays, increases his magic resist. This ability makes you incredibly resistance against mages and their burst damage.
R | Ultimate: Sadism
Sadism is what makes Dr. Mundo annoyingly hard to kill because it grants him a large amount of HP regeneration over a short duration. Additionally, it grants him a substantial movement speed bonus.
Sadism has an interesting mechanic in conjunction with the Stoneplate Enchant. The Stoneplate Enchant increases the wielder’s max HP by 40% (up to 100% when there are 3 or more champions nearby). When Sadism is casted during the effect of Stoneplate Enchant, the HP regeneration is based on the buffed amount of HP which in effect increases the HP regeneration by the same percentage. This is a great tactic when facing Grievous Wounds because it basically cancels the 50% healing reduction.
When you are low in HP while this effect is activated and there is a champion with a potentially lethal nuke, Garen for example, use the bonus movement speed to temporarily exit the battle in order to recover your HP to a safe level before heading back to battle. A second out of battle will quickly revert your HP back to more than half.
Combo: Q – W – AA (auto attack) – E – AA – Q – AA
Dr. Mundo Build Recommendation
Here are Item Build Recommedations that works on Dr. Mundo
Not a Doctor Jungler
This is the standard item build for a Jungle Dr. Mundo which gives emphasis on his early oppressiveness in order to pressure the enemy team in the early game.
- Sunfire Aegis‘s Immolate effect from this ability allows you to farm the Jungle camps fast and deal a good amount of DPS just by standing near your opponents.
- Dead Man’s Plate is an aggressive item choice that will allow you to run down your opponents with its additional movement speed effect and slow effect on auto attack thanks to its Crushing Blow passive.
- Boots of Swiftness is another aggressive item choice which we will pick up because of the highest movement speed amount and slow resistance. Plated Steelcaps or Mercury Threads is also viable for physical or magical defensive options, respectively. Upgrade with the Stoneplate Enchant for the increased HP active.
- Spirit Visage‘s Blessed effect of Spirit Visage which increases all the healing received by the wielder synergizes extremely well with your abilities.
- Warmog’s Armor is a good item on Dr. Mundo because he benefits greatly on additional HP and this item grants the highest amount of HP among all items in Wild Rift.
- Guardian Angel makes the enemy think thrice before attacking you because you are already hard to kill and the Resurrect passive from this item just makes it annoyingly more so.
Not a Doctor Tank
- Thornmail grants the Thorns passive which reflects auto attack damage dealt to you and inflict your attacker with Grievous Wounds. You’ll want this item because you’ll want to peel for your team against the ADC of the enemy team.
- Fleet Footwork grants healing and bonus movement speed on attacks once in a while. Great for your early game rotation. For the top lane, Grasp of the Undying is your alternative Keystone rune for the healing on trades and extended duels.
- Triumph makes champion takedowns restore health and deal more damage on enemies with low HP. This is excellent on Dr. Mundo because he thrives on extended duels and low HP fights.
- Adaptive Carapace grants bonus max HP and bonus adaptive resistance when below 50% health. The bonus resistance will be armor or magic resist depending if more physical or magic damage has been taken in the past minute. For the top lane, Conditioning is the better choice because it helps you resist burst damage in the mid and late game.
- Mastermind grants additional damage to Epic Monsters and towers. As a Jungler, you are going to play around objectives and this rune will allow you to take them faster. The alternative rune is Pack Hunter which grants you bonus movement speed when near an ally.
Smite is required for Junglers as it assist you in taking the Jungle camps and for securing objectives. Since you are already strong in the early game. The Blue Smite is the better choice since what you lack is crowd controls.
Flash is a must for Dr. Mundo because he does not have any mobility abilities. This allows you to play more aggressively as you can Flash in on distant targets or dive towers then Flash on your way out.
Ghost is another good summoner spell for Dr. Mundo when playing in the top lane. This grants additional mobility so you can function more effectively as a space creator for your team. Ignite is a good spell in the top lane but I do not recommend it because you don’t want to play aggressively as a top laner in the early game.
We’re going to get a point in Q, Infected Cleaver because it deals HP based damage which is effective against the buff jungle monsters then max the E, Masochism first because it grants the highest possible damage output in the early game. Plus, the cooldown of Masochism is reduced every time it is leveled up. We are going to max Q next to increase its damage output as well then max W, Burning Agony last. Of course, we are going to get a point for our ultimate, Sadism, whenever possible.
Dr. Mundo Early Game Guide
Dr. Mundo as a jungler has a very fast clear time. Use this fact to slowly but surely gain an advantage against the enemy jungler.
Always do a full clear because you are a weak ganker but you can clear your jungle fast and that will result in a positive gold and exp gap against the enemy jungler assuming that your team does not feed the enemy jungler.
Make sure to grab the Scuttler because it is an immense help to your team and because of your clear speed you’ll most likely arrive at the Scuttlers faster than the enemy jungler. Do not shy away from contesting because you are strong in the early game.
If you see the enemy jungler on the opposite side of the map, quickly run to their jungle and clear their jungle monsters. You’ll easily kill one or two camps before they’ll be able to react.
When ganking, always remember these things:
- Your teammate must have reliable crowd control because you do not have that.
- The enemy must have their mobility ability or flash on cooldown.
- The enemy is overextended.
Those three things must be true for your gank to have a high chance of success. If one of those conditions is absent, it will be better to simply run back to your jungle to farm or invade the enemy jungle.
Remember that you have a fast clear speed and you can easily solo the Drakes fast so sneak in and start doing the drake but remember to ping your team to join you to increase your chances of killing them.
Dr. Mundo Late Game Guide
In the mid game and the late game, Dr. Mundo shines in the art of tower diving.
You can now freely gank lanes because you’ll simply shrug turret damage. Just remember that you have to outnumber who you are diving. Think of the turret as another champion and you’ll most likely lose a 2v3 or 3v4 situation even if you are fed.
Always look at your HP bar because most of the enemy have their Grievous Wounds to counter you now.
If you are affected by Grievous Wounds and you are getting low, simply run back to your back liners and stay there while you recover your HP. Rinse and repeat.
The later the game goes, the more your damage and carrying capability drops. So play around your team and protect them and enable them to kill enemies by catching skill shots and turret damage for them.
Dr. Mundo Video Guide
We are going to pair Dr. Mundo with Zed because of his ability to snowball in the early game and mobility which augments Dr. Mundo’s high impact early game roaming. Plus, in the later stages of the game, Zed will benefit from Dr. Mundo’s ability to create space and chaos where Zed can capitalize on opportunities to assassinate the enemy’s carries.
Lulu’s Wild Growth makes Dr. Mundo an even more terrifying force who can run down opponents with his bonus HP and movement speed slow. The shield from her E, Help Pix! helps him survive through Ignite and other Grievous wounds Effects.
As mentioned earlier, Garen is a threat to Dr. Mundo because he can execute him using his ultimate, Demacian Justice when he gets low on health. Dr. Mundo plays effectively when maintaining a lower health percentage but Garen would make it harder to do so.
Darius loves extended trades and he would happily fight Dr. Mundo on one. His ultimate, Noxian Guillotine deals true damage that becomes stronger when the enemy has more Hemorrhage stacks the enemy which will be the end of Dr. Mundo.
Varus is currently the only champion who can apply Grievous Wounds through his abilities. He has abilities that deals %HP based damage so he is a natural counter to Dr. Mundo through and through.
Here are some pros and cons if you are playing with Dr. Mundo in Wild Rift.
- Dr. Mundo has an oppressive early game roaming. He can outplay and outpace many early game junglers like Lee Sin and Xin Zhao.
- Very tanky and has high sustain capabilities and high damage output while at it.
- Has natural defenses against magic damage and crowd controls.
- Dr. Mundo is easily countered by Grievous Wounds and physical burst damage.
- He has no hard crowd control of his own.
- Will most likely lose the game when he gets outplayed and outpaced in the early game.
FAQ's About Dr. Mundo
How good is DR. Mundo in Wild Rift?
Dr. Mundo is an (Tier B) champion. He is a safe pick because of his fast jungle clear and high survivability.
What role / lane should I play with Dr. Mundo in Wild Rift?
Dr. Mundo is a great jungle and Baron lane pick. It is viable to pick him when your team has no other tanks but has enough CC already.
What abilities do I level up with Dr. Mundo?
His E, Masochism is high priority ability to level up because it is his main source of damage and it also passively grants him good amount of magic resistance. His Q, Infected Cleaver is maxed next because it chunks out a good % of the enemy’s HP upon hit.
What items should I build with Dr. Mundo?
Sunfire Cape is optional to increase his jungle clear speed. His core items are Spirit Visage to increase the regeneration and healing he receives and Warmog’s Armor for the huge bonus HP and rapid healing outside battle.
What Runes should I use when playing as Dr. Mundo?
Fleet Footwork is a great Keystone Rune for Dr. Mundo as a jungler because it heals him which helps in the early game and its movement speed boost is amazing when trying to stay on top of enemies. Grasp of the Undying works as well but it only works when playing in the Baron lane. You should always get Triumph for Dr. Mundo because it heals him on takedown and the bonus damage against low HP enemies can work wonders on clutch situations.
How do survive against Grievous Wounds on Dr. Mundo?
When playing in the high elo, playing against Grievous Wounds can be tough for Dr. Mundo. Rush your core items and buy the Stoneplate Enchant to counteract the Grievous Wounds effect and adopt a hit and run play style.