Recommended Lane: Dragon Lane
Tristana always leaps into battle with steadfast courage and optimism. She is a mobile marksman with a long range leaping ability and a mix of DPS, burst damage, and a whole lot of mayhem!
Increases the range of attacks, Explosive Charge, and Buster Shot by 10 per level.
Gain 30% bonus Attack Speed for 5 seconds.
Leap to a target location, dealing 60 magic damage (60 + 50% AP) and slowing nearby enemies by 60% for 1s.
Takedowns and fully stacked Explosive Charge detonations on champions reset Rocket Jump’s cooldown.
Passive: Enemies explode when killed by Tristana’s attacks, dealing 40 magic damage (40 + 25% AP) to nearby enemies.
Active: Places a bomb on an enemy or turret, dealing 60 physical damage (60 + 50% AD + 50% AP) to nearby enemies. Tristana’s attacks and abilities charge the bomb’s damage by 30%, stacking 4 times.
Bombs explode immediately at full stacks. Explosion radius is doubled for bombs placed on turrets
Fires a massive cannonball at an enemy, dealing 300 magic damage (300 + 100% AP) and knocking them back.
Innate Passive: Draw a Bead
Tristana’s auto attack, E, Explosive Charge, and R, Buster Shot range increases per level. Each line represents Tristana’s range in the respective level.
The range for Tristana’s auto attack, E, Explosive charge, and R, Buster Shot is the same across all levels.
There is a significant range difference between a level 1 Tristana and a max level Tristana. A max level Tristana’s range is only behind a Seraphine with 15+ note stack or a Jinx with max level Q, Switcheroo! But, the big difference is that along with Tristana’s long range, she has superior mobility thanks to her W, Rocket Jump.
- The yellow lines represents Tristana’s range. The outer yellow line is Tristana with the Firecannon Barrel passive which grants 150 bonus range. The second yellow line is Tristana’s max range at level 15. and the third yellow line is her range at level 1.
- The red lines represents Jinx’s range. The other red line is Jinx’s range with her cannon, Fishbones at max level and the inner red line is her range with Pow-Pow, the minigun.
- The blue line is Grave’s range.
Q | Ability 1: Rapid Fire
Rapid Fire is Tristana’s steroid ability. It augments her burst damage because it allows her to quickly charge her E, Explosive Charge and in the late game, this ability gives her one of the deadliest DPS among the ADCs.
The only downside to Rapid Fire is its long cooldown. You don’t want to commit to fights when it is unavailable and wasting it is a big drop to your DPS.
When to activate Rapid Fire boils down to experience but as for beginners, here is some advice on when you’ll want to activate Rapid Fire when:
- There is an out of position enemy you want to use your full combo on. The full combo is W + E + AA + R +AA.
- Both teams have used their initiation abilities and crowd controls.
- You are in a position to freely hit the enemies.
W | Ability 2: Rocket Jump
Rocket Jump is Tristana’s mobility ability and her defining ability. This is what makes her annoyingly hard to deal with because its cooldown resets when she takes down an enemy and when she managed to detonate a fully stacked E, Explosive Charge.
Rocket Jump has a short casting animation which means that there is a short delay before she jumps and enemies will be notified and have a short time to react whether you are going in or out of a fight.
During the short casting animation, you can counter crowd control abilities. For example, if you are hit Blitzcrank’s Q, Rocket Grab, you’ll be able to jump out to safety even you are hit. This applies to almost all crowd control abilities. But if you are hit after the casting animation, while you are up in the air, your jump will be interrupted and you’ll have no way to counter it unless you have flash available.
Experienced enemies will wait for your casting animation to end before trying to hit you with their CCs. To counter this, use your Rocket Jump reflexively, meaning, use it as the enemy uses their crowd control or even bait it out if you’re confident about reaction time.
You can use your abilities mid air while jumping but you cannot auto attack. Use this fact to drop in your E, Explosive Charge while mid air so you’ll be able to charge it faster because Rocket Jump can also stack your E, Explosive Charge if you hit the enemy with it.
You may also use R, Buster Shot mid air for the Insec play where you’ll push the target enemy into your team.
Be careful when engaging against ADCs with Rocket Jump because they are able to auto attack you while you are in mid air while you cannot. If both you and the enemy ADC are low and you want to kill them, fake them with a Rocket Jump then cancel it using your Flash to surprise your enemy.
Because when using Flash with Rocket Jump. Using Flash during the casting animation will make it cast faster while using it during the jump will cancel the jump and no damage will be done upon landing.
You can do a double jump by jumping while your E, Explosive Charge is nearly stacked or when an enemy is nearly dead.
E | Ability 3: Explosive Charge
Explosive Charge is your main source of damage in the early and mid game.
First, the passive part, explodes enemies killed by Tristana’s attacks, dealing magic damage. This allows you to shove your lane and push back melee supports safely.
Second, the active part, places a bomb on an enemy or turret which explodes after a short duration or when fully stacked. Each attack or ability Tristana lands on the enemy with an Explosive Charge increases its damage, up to 120%.
In the laning phase, you can safely harass the enemy by combining the passive and active part of this ability. To do this, use Explosive Charge on an dying minion near an enemy champion then attack once. Both the passive and active portion will explode and damage the enemy champion near the dying minion.
Use the full combo (W + E + AA + R +AA) on priority enemies when you get the chance. If you can reach level 5 before your enemy laners, immediately look for a kill opportunity before they acquire their ultimate.
Remember that you can use Explosive Charge on turrets to quickly take them down. The range is doubled when Explosive Charge is detonated on towers so use it whenever you can to harass enemy champions under turrets.
A high level combo you can use with Explosive charge is detonating it on time while pushing the target enemy champion to their team using R, Buster Shot so they’ll all receive the explosion damage.
R | Ultimate: Buster Shot
Tristana’s ultimate, Buster Shot, is a burst damage crowd control ability with lots of uses. Some of it are:
- To burst down enemies with your full combo. W + E + AA + R + AA. You can sneak in an auto attack after using your ultimate.
- For self-peeling or to protect your allies by knocking away a pursuing enemy.
- To set up a kill by pushing an enemy to your team.
The knock back of Buster shot is essentially a crowd control so always use it when dueling an enemy champion so you’ll be able to land at least one more attack than them which can mean life or death on 1v1 duels.
When an enemy has 2 stacks of E, Explosive Charge, cast your ultimate and point towards the enemy team then auto attack so you’ll damage the enemy team with your E, Explosive Charge.
Full combo: W + E [Q] + AA + R +A
Any other combos are variation of this combo. You’ll want to activate Q, Rapid Fire before auto attacking. If your W, Rocket Jump won’t damage the enemy, land another auto attack first before using your ultimate, Buster Shot to maximize E, Explosive Charge‘s stack damage.
Tristana Build Recommendation
Here are Item Build Recommedations that works on Tristana
This is the standard build for Tristana which balances DPS, burst damage, and sustain.
- Blade of the Ruined King increases both your attack speed and attack damage. Its passive, Ruined Strikes which deals %HP damage, will reduce the enemies HP enough to make your full combo fatal. The Drain passive which steals the enemies movement speed also helps to secure kills.
- Gluttonous Grieves helps to increase your sustain with its omnivamp. Upgrade with the Quicksilver Enchant to avoid being shut down by crowd controls when diving in using your Rocket Jump.
- Infinity Edge increases your damage output by a lot with its high AD stat and its passive, infinity, adds bonus damage to your critical strikes.
- Rapid Firecannon‘s Firecannon Barrel passive grants bonus damage and bonus range to increase your already long range to snipe down low HP targets.
- Mortal Reminder grants your attacks the Grievous Wounds effect to counter high sustain enemies and it also grants a high amount of armor penetration to counter high armored tanks.
- Guardian Angel has the Resurrect passive that basically grants you a second life. Extremely useful in the late game against burst damage champions and for limit testing risky plays.
This is the AP build for Tristana which has high burst damage potential but lower DPS. Works great in the mid lane but be wary that this build may tilt your teammates.
- Nashor’s Tooth adds magic damage to your attacks. This is a great first item because it grants both AP and attack speed which is useful for your combos.
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity grants ability haste and lowers the cooldown of your Summoner Spells as well.
- Lich Bane adds the Spellblade passive which empowers your attack after a spell with magic damage for more burst damage potential.
- Rabadon’s Deathcap grants the highest amount of AP in the game. You’ll be bursting down everyone after obtaining this item.
- Void Staff grants the highest amount of magic penetration so you’ll be ripping out tanks once you have this item.
- Conqueror is the best choice for your Keystone Rune as Tristana loves consecutive takedowns. Electrocute is a second choice which fits her AP playstyle.
- Triump adds bonus damage to low HP targets and heals you for each takedown.
- Spirit Walker adds bonus health and slow resistance.
- Sweet Tooth increases the healing you receive from Honeyfruits and makes it grant little bonus gold at the same time.
Heal is your defensive spell because it affects you and your support plus it grants bonus movement speed for the both of you which is useful not only for defensive situations but for offensive situations as well.
Flash is extremely useful for a lot of offensive and defensive situations.
E, Explosive Charge is maxed first because it is your main source of damage in the early game and it helps with clearing waves fast. Q, Rapid Fire is maxed next because you are starting to build up your DPS in the mid game. W, Rocket Jump is maxed last as it provides enough utility in its first level. Get a point in your ultimate whenever possible.
Tristana Early Game Guide
Tristana is a champion who loves to all in so she works best with offensive supports with lock down which right now is Alistar and Blitzcrank who both have strong level 2 power spikes.
Try to reach level 2 faster than your enemy laners and once you reach level 2, immediately go in for an engage and use your W, Rocket Jump and E, Explosive Charge. You’ll kill them or at least burn their summoner spells.
If you successfully capitalized on your level 2 power spike, you’ll most likely have smooth sailing on your laning phase from now on.
If not, you’ll have another chance on your level 5 power spike. A single combo on a locked down enemy is a sure kill even when that enemy has full health.
But if you are struggling in your lane, you can simply spam your E, Explosive Charge on your the minions to avoid being shoved into your tower.
Tristana Late Game Guide
In the late game, take advantage of your long range and superior mobility to place yourself in spots where you can freely hit the enemy team and always reserve your ultimate. Buster Shot to fully combo an enemy priority target.
The priority target is usually the mid laner or the ADC whoever is more of a threat to your team.
Another great use of your ultimate, Buster Shot is to push away the enemy jungler when you are taking Drakes or Baron so you’ll prevent them from stealing your objectives.
Remember to think twice about where you’ll use your W, Rocket Jump because one wrong jump will cost you your life.
Take note of the abilities that are used by the enemy because you’ll most likely be the enemy’s priority target if you are doing well so don’t stray too far away from your support.
Alistar together with Tristana is a high pressure lane. He has a strong level 2 combo which works perfectly with Tristana’s level 2 power spike. He is tanky and his passive sustains himself and a teammate which enables you to stay aggressive all through out the game.
Blitzcrank is another champion with a strong level 2 combo which makes him a great partner for a Tristana kill lane.
Braum can intercept your attacks so you won’t be able to 1-shot the enemy ADC. If he marks you with his Q, Winter’s Bite or auto attack, don’t use your Rocket Jump offensively because you might get stunned while near enemy champions.
Draven has a lot of kill pressure in the early game, more than Tristana’s, because of his strong early game damage thanks to his Spinning Axes. Do not engage him if he’s not CC’d because if he’s fed, he can kill you helplessly while you are mid air.
Tristana will usually end up on top versus Kai’Sa but if she is not shut down, she’ll come up on top in the mid and late game against Tristana and she will punish Tristana for overextending. She can disengage when Tristana activates Rapid Fire and she can also follow Tristana easily with her kit. For the same reasons, Vayne is a dangerous ADC against Tristana.
Here are some pros and cons if you are playing with Tristana in Wild Rift.
- Tristana is one of the most mobile ADC with her W, Rocket Jump which has a long range and it can reset through takedowns and fully stacked E, Explosive Charge. She can protect herself her ultimate, Buster Shot by pushing away enemies. This makes her one of the safest ADC picks because she is not that easy to pick off.
- Aside from her mobility, she also has one of the longest range as she gains level. Thanks to her range and mobility, she can finish team fights without being hit even once.
- Tristana has a balanced DPS and burst damage kit. She is an ADC champion with constant kill pressure front the early game to the late game and her DPS when Q, Rapid Fire is activated is one of the strongest in the game.
- She can quickly take down towers with her E, Explosive Charge.
- Tristana’s damage output is heavily tied to her cooldowns. If she misuses her Q, Rapid Fire then she loses a lot of potential DPS until it becomes available again. If she failed to stack her E, Explosive Charge, it does little damage and she misses a reset with her W, Rocket Jump.
- If you use your ultimate, Buster Shot too early, you’ll be pushing the enemy away from you, helping them escape. If you misjudged the position of your enemies and jumped towards them, you’re easily dead.
FAQ's About Tristana
How good is Tristana in Wild Rift?
Tristana is an (Tier A) champion. She is a safe pick for most matchups and she can easily come out on top given the right support. She snowballs hard in the fast pace meta of Wild Rift.
What role / lane should I play with Tristana in Wild Rift?
Tristana is usually placed in the Dragon lane as an ADC together with a support champion who has a strong kill pressure like Alistar or Blitzcrank. She can also be played as an off meta mid laner.
What abilities do I level up with Tristana?
Her E, Explosive Charge is maxed first because it is her main source of damage and wave clear in the early game. Her Q, Rapid Fire is maxed next to improve her DPS starting mid game.
What items should I build with Tristana?
Blade of the Ruined King helps with her damage output and attack speed in the early game. Infinity Edge adds to her burst damage capabilities.
What Runes should I use when playing as Tristana?
Conqueror is the best choice for your Keystone Rune as Tristana loves consecutive takedowns. Triumph helps her with the consecutive takedowns with its healing on takedowns and bonus damage on low HP champions.
What's the best combo for Tristana?
Jump on the your target with W, Rocket Jump then cast E, Explosive Charge while midair. Auto attack once or twice then cast your ultimate, Buster Shot followed by another auto attack.