Recommended Lane: Jungle Lane
Equal parts jolly and imposing, rowdy brewmaster on his own quest for the perfect pint of ale, any appearance from Gragas must surely foreshadow drinking and destruction—in that order. Gragas is a versatile Mage Tank who can be played in every lane as a Baron lane tank, a mid lane nuker, a support, or a jungle.
Casting an ability restores 42 Health (6% HP). (7 second cooldown)
Rolls a cask to target location that explodes upon re-casting or after 3 seconds. Enemies hit take 80 magic damage (80 + 70% AP) and are slowed by 40% for 2 seconds.
The cask ferments over the first 1.5 seconds, increasing the damage and slow amount by up to 150%.
Guzzles down artisanal brew, reducing damage taken by 10% (10%+ 0.04% AP) for 2.5 seconds.
The next attack within 5 seconds after drinking is empowered to splash nearby enemies for bonus magic damage equal to 20 (20 + 65% AP) plus 8% of their max Health.
Charges forward, colliding with the first enemy hit to deal 80 magic damage (80 + 60% AP) to nearby enemies. Enemies hit are also bumped backwards, stunning them for 1s.
Body Slam’s cooldown is reduced by 3s if it successfully collides with an enemy.
Hurls a potent cask that explodes when it lands, dealing 200 magic damage (200 + 70% AP) and knocking enemies away from the explosion’s center.
The cask has a fixed travel time.
Innate: Happy Hour
Gragas heals up when he uses an ability. This ability ties up well with his W, Drunken Rage which should be cast in between jungle camps or in between fights.
Thanks to this passive ability, Gragas can stay healthy between clearing and ganking. When played properly, he would only need to recall to buy his items.
Q / Ability 1: Barrel Roll
Gragas rolls out a barrel that remains on the ground and ferments for a few seconds then explodes when it expires or when recasted. The explosion from the barrel deals magic damage and slows the enemy. The barrel deals more damage and inflicts a stronger slow effect when it ferments which you’ll know because the barrel will turn red when it happens.
Use your Barrel Roll on jungle camps as soon as you reach the distance to throw it at the camp to optimize your clearing.
You can hide the barrel on its way out when you immediately followup this ability with your E, Body Slam (Q + E). You have to throw the barrel on the anticipated landing spot of the enemy. This combo when successfully pulled off will make the enemy receive the fermented barrel damage. Although, this is a bit tricky and high risk so when you are unsure, doing a E + Q combo is safger. The downside with the E + Q combo is that sometimes you will have to activate the explosion prematurely to damage the enemy with it.
W / Ability 2: Drunken Rage
Drunken Rage reduces damage Gragas receives while guzzling booze then it boosts his next auto attack to deal splash magic damage to an area.
Gragas cannot attack or cast spells during this ability so make sure to activate it early in anticipation of a clash.
E / Ability 3: Body Slam
Gragas charges forward and slams his body unto the enemy, damaging them, knocking back, then stunning them.
Body Slam works smoothly with Flash which allows him to do surprising ganks and plays.
Body Slam also works on narrow walls which you can use to pursue or escape enemies.
R / Ultimate: Explosive Cask
Explosive Cask deals a large amount of damage in a wide AoE and displaces enemies hit by it.
Explosive Cask is very unpredictable and can make or break your game so I don’t really recommend it as an initiation tool because you might even help the enemy by pushing them away from your team when they are already in a vulnerable position.
Explosive Cask is better used as a followup to your own combo or to followup already crowd controlled enemies so you can be sure of the outcome of your ultimate. Use to secure kills with the high damage and long, wide range.
This ability is also an excellent disengage tool to disperse your enemies when they have the upper hand in positioning or if they are dangerously close to killing your AD carry.
Basic combo: W + E + Q + AA (auto attack) + Q + AA + R
Advance combo: W + Q + E + AA + Q + AA + R
Gragas Build Recommendation
Here are Item Build Recommedation that works on Gragas
This the standard build on Gragas which makes him a strong nuker throughout the game. This plays well when you have a tank or initiator in your team, preferably both.
- Luden’s Echo – The Discordic Echo passive synergizes well with his abilities as they are all AoE burst damage abilities. The bonus magic damage will make you even more bursty both in ganks and clearing the jungle.
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity – The cooldown reduction helps well with spamming your abilities. Plus, shorter cooldowns means that you will have more passive procs which will keep your HP at healthy levels and Gragas gank ready. Upgrade with the Stasis Enchant for outplays or with the Protobelt Enchant for more mobility.
- Infinity Orb – The Inevitable Demise passive of this item will make your abilities and empowered attack crit on low HP enemies. With this item, you’ll be able to clean up fights easily be a potent ganker.
- Lich Bane – This is the icing in your combo cake because you do an auto attack in your combo anyway because of Drunken Rage. The Spellblade passive in top of that ensures a one combo kill even on most bruisers like Vi and Garen.
- Rabadon’s Deathcap – the AP scaling this item gives is just overkill. You’ll do more than half health damage on enemy carries with just your ultimate when you have this item.
- Void Staff – Kill enemy tanks with just one combo with this item which grants the highest amount of magic penetration.
Gragas needs to play as the tank and initiator when your team doesn’t pick one, usually to salvage a misdrafted team comp.
- Abyssal Mask – This item provides a balance between offense and defense because it grants defensive stats but has an offensive passive in Abyssal which increases the magic damage received by the enemy in a radius around the wielder.
- Mercury threads – Increase your magic resist and crowd control resistance. Build Ninja Tabi instead when facing an AD heavy team comp. Upgrade with the Gargoyle Enchant for a burst of HP boost when initiating. The Protobelt Enchant is viable in this build as well.
- Dead Man’s Plate – Another hybrid item which grants defensive stats but an offensive passive which hastens Gragas and slows the enemy hit on usage of max Momentum stacks.
- Spirit Visage – The Blessed passive from this item synergizes well with your innate passive to keep your HP in a healthy level.
- Randuin’s Omen – Counters AD carries by lowering their attack speed and critical damage output.
- Warmog’s Armor – This item has the highest amount of HP in the game and its passive grants an absurd amount of out of battle HP regen.
- Electrocute – Grants additional burst damage on successful combos. Grasp of the Undying is the alternative rune which grants HP based bonus damage and heal.
- Brutal – Increases your damage output through the additional AP and magic penetration. Triump is the alternative rune which heals you on takedown and deal additional damage to low HP targets.
- Hunter – Titan – Grants additional health and crowd control resistance on takedowns.
- Pathfinder – Increases movement speed when out of combat when on the jungle, river, and bushes.
Smite is necessary because Gragas is mostly played as the Jungle. It allows you to safely farm the camps and secure buffs and Epic monsters like Drakes and Baron Nashor. Upgrading it into the blue or red smite is up to your preference. The Blue Smite helps secure ganks because of its slowing effect and the Red Smite helps you gain an advantage in duels because of its additional AP effect.
Flash is necessary for Gragas because it helps in engaging and escaping and it makes for a cool and almost unavoidable initiation with the E + Flash combo.
Ignite is a viable spell for securing kills when playing Gragas as a top or mid laner while as a support, Exhaust might be a better option as an additional layer of protection for your AD carry.
The first point will go to W, Drunken Rage, because the empowered attack deals HP based damage which is a great help for killing the buff monsters. We are going to max Q, Barrel Roll, first because it is our main source of damage for our jungle clears and ganks. Then, we will max E, Body Slam, next then W, Drunken Rage, last because Body Slam has its cooldown scale down with its ability level. Of course, we are always investing a point in our ultimate, Explosive Cask, whenever possible.
Yasuo when plays in the mid lane, can benefit a lot from Gragas because of Gragas ganking presence and Yasuo’s strong AD scaling will prevent them from building a full armor defense build against Yasuo = then suffer the magic damage from Gragas or a full magic resistance build then suffer from Yasuo’s strong AD scaling. Plus, there is the possibility of pulling off a beautiful wombo combo which is Body Slam + Last Breath + Explosive Cask.
Vi can face your only crowd control head on with her ultimate, Assault and Battery. She can melt you down even in tank build. Avoid 1v1 duels with her at all cost. You have more impact in clashes so you’ll win if you can successfully dodge her in the early game.
Here are some pros and cons if you are playing with Gragas in Wild Rift.
- Gragas has strong burst damage throughout the damage and can kill enemies with just one combo.
- He has high base stats for a Mage. He is quite tanky even when going full mage build. Plus, he is almost at full health thanks to his passive.
- Strong team fight presence with a lot of utility thanks to his stun, slow, and displacement from his ultimate, Explosive Casket.
- Gragas is quite a high skill floor hero which means that you will need some time in practice and in PVP before you’ll be able to use him reliably in rank games because his skill shots are hard and tricky to use.
- Gragas is susceptible to early game invades and will likely lose on early duels against meta junglers.
Patch Notes 1.1 ( 8-12-2020 )
Currently, Gragas ultimate is much harder to land in Wild Rift, and this skills ia very import for him. Riots making this ability a bit faster so he can start the party a bit sooner.
ULTIMATE – EXPLODING CASK
Travel time: 6 frames → 4 frames