Recommended Lane: Mid
Fizz, The Tidal Trickster, is an amphibious Yordle who loves to confound his allies and enemies alike. He seems to have control over the beast of the deep, who he baits to consume fools who try to cross him. He is a very mobile mid lane assassin who excels in moving across the battlefield safely and bursting down his enemies.
Fizz Wild Rift Build Recommendation
Here are Item Build Recommendations that works on this champion and which are the best build for Fizz Wild Rift in this patch.
This is the standard Fizz Wild Rift build aimed for him to be able to oneshot opponents.
- Lich Bane enhances Fizz’s basic attack using the Spellblade passive for more burst damage.
- Boots of Mana provide Fizz more firepower in terms of Ability Power, Magic Penetration, with a moderate amount of Mana Restoration.
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity grants ability haste which reduces ability cooldowns and it reduces the cooldown of your summoner spells as well which will allow you to use Ignite and Flash more often. Immediately upgrade with the Stasis Enchant to acquire the Stasis active which you can activate to grant you invulnerability for a few seconds so you can buy time when your 3rd, Playful/Trickster is on cooldown.
- Rabadon’s Deathcap is rushed next to increase your burst damage. With this item, you can kill almost all your enemies with your combo.
- Infinity Orb is a relatively cheap item that causes your damage to champions below a certain health percentage to deal bonus critical damage. This item will help you snowball faster.
- Void Staff is used to penetrate those with high magic resist builds.
- Morellonomicon adds additional magic penetration as well as applying the Grevious Wound effect to counter enemy champions with high amounts of sustain.
This Fizz Wild Rift build is to increase his DPS when faced with a tanky lineup where 3 or more of the enemy champions are impossible to kill with one combo. This build also allows Fizz to take down towers fast. This is the more viable build when playing as a jungler as well.
- Nashor’s Tooth is a strong mage DPS item which increases your attack speed and imbues each of your attack with magic damage.
- Liandry’s Torment makes damaging abilities and empowered attacks deal HP based damage which is perfect for shredding down tanks.
Runes for Fizz in Wild Rift
- Electrocute – Deals bonus damage to enemies when executing combos in quick succession which increases your burst damage output. This is perfect for executing short trades and bursting down carries.
- Conqueror – Fizz can fill up his stacks fast because he is reliant on his combo on dealing as much damage as possible so dealing the full stack of damage is almost always a guarantee for him.
- Brutal – Increases your damage and penetration. Some players like using the Champion rune which grants an outright 8% bonus damage but loses 4% of the bonus damage every time you die which makes it a high-risk high-return rune.
- Second Wind– When you are attacked, regenerate a portion of your missing health and grants passive health regeneration which is crucial for early game trades and surviving bullying.
- Hunter – Titan – A better option when playing a matchup you are confident with. Adds extra HP for every unique takedown which makes you less susceptible to burst damage.
- Hunter – Genius – Adds bonus ability haste for each unique takedown you make. Each time you kill a different enemy champion, you’ll be able to use your abilities much faster.
- Sweet Tooth – Use this Inspiration rune if you are unsure about your matchup. Increases Honeyfruit healing and provides extra gold for eating it. Important for Fizz in the early game as he is a melee mage champion.
In our Fizz Wild Rift Guide, here are the best champion spells that you can equip on him.
Ignite is your offensive summoner spell that you will use alongside your combo to secure kills with its true DPS and Grievous Wounds effect for 5 seconds.
Flash is a necessary spell for Fizz because you are a melee mage. Flash is your insurance that you can get out of combat when faced with a dangerous situation.
Get 2nd, Rending Wave first to secure your last hits easier. But if think you are going to be bullied early, get your 3rd, Playful/Trickster instead.
Max your 3rd, Playful/Trickster first to lower its cooldown and get your Ultimate, Chum of the Water whenever possible.
Whether to max your 1st, Urchin Strike or your 2nd, Rending Wave, first is a matter of personal preference. Maxing 1st, Urchin Strike will decrease its cooldown faster but Maxing 3rd, Rending Wave, will increase your damage output more in the mid game.
Attacks deal an additional 22 magic damage (22 + 40% AP) over 3 seconds. Deals 200% damage to Monsters.
Dashes through target enemy, dealing 10 magic damage (10 + 55% AP) plus 58 physical damage (100% AD) and applying on-hit effects.
Empowers the next attack to deal 50 bonus magic damage (50 + 50% AP). and applying seastone trident on ememies hit. Additional attacks within 5 seconds deal 10 bonus magic damage (10 + 35% AP).
Killing a unit with the first attack reduces Rending Wave’s cooldown to 1 second.
Vaults to target location, becoming untargetable while balanced on the trident. After 1.2 seconds, Fizz hops down with a large splash that deals 85 magic damage (85 + 70% AP) and slows enemies hit by 40% for 2 seconds.
Re-cast: Hop down early towards a direction, but deal damage in a smaller splash that does not slow enemies.
Launches a fish in a target direction that attaches to the first champion hit and reveals them. After 2 seconds, the fish attracts a shark that knocks up its target and knocks away enemies around them. The farther the fish travels, the larger the shark it will attract, dealing 150 to 300 magic damage (150 + 60% AP to 350 + 120% AP) and slowing enemies hit by 40% to 80% based on the size of the shark.
Innate: Sea Stone Trident
Fizz’s passive is an on-hit effect that helps you land the killing blow on minions when you mess up your last hit. It also increases your overall DPS in the long run. It deals 200% damage to jungle and epic monsters, so if you want a mobile jungler who can 1-hit delete enemies, maybe Fizz could be the right fit for you.
Q | 1st: Urchin Strike
Urchin Strike is a gap closer that deals a significant amount of damage and applies on-hit effects.
Keep in mind that Urchin Strike will always run its full range no matter how close you are to your target, it could lead to you being out of position which can be dangerous if your flash and your 2nd is on cooldown.
You can use Urchin Strike to escape by running towards your pursuer then casting your 1st when you and your target enemy are aligned to your escape path. You can also use Urchin Strike on minions in front of your escape path.
Another trick is that you can jump through some walls with this ability by warding near a jungle monster on the other side then using this ability. This works best with the Gromp jungle monster.
W | 2nd: Rending Wave
Rending Wave is your last-hitting tool in the early game. This skill’s cooldown is reduced to 1 second if you use the first attack after activating it to kill a minion. It also grants a DPS boost after the first hit, further adding to the DPS from your passive.
Rending Wave is also an auto-reset. Meaning, you can attack again immediately after casting the spell. an auto-attack-2nd-auto-attack combo will deal significant damage to your enemy which is especially useful during the laning phase.
E | 3rd: Playful/Trickster
His E is his all in one, outplay, disengage/engage/dodging tool. The first cast allows him to jump a short distance which is capable of jumping past walls, becoming untargetable which makes him invulnerable against all forms of attacks. After a few seconds or when recast, Fizz will drop and deal AoE damage with a slow effect if the full duration of Playful is utilized.
Playful/Trickster deals more damage if you don’t choose where you want to jump down. Fizz will simply jump down on the same area he was. This will deal more damage but at the risk of being avoided by the opponent.
Playful/Trickster is better used as a disengage tool and should be used as an engage tool sparingly because this skill is what makes a good Fizz player an annoying and tilting one. This ability will save your life countless times.
R | Ultimate: Chum of the Waters
Fizz launches a fish that attaches to an enemy and it will attract a shark after a while. The shark will deal significant damage to the enemy hero and those around it while knocking up the main target and knocking those around him away.
It is a strong nuke that deals more damage the farther the distance the Chum traveled and it can be used as an initiation that is best cast under the fog of war or under brushes for the surprise factor. It travels a moderate speed that is relatively easy to avoid when cast from afar.
Time your other skills while the enemy is knocked up so that all of the damage will be done while the enemy is controlled which leaves them no opportunity to fight back.
The shark will still come up to eat the fish even if no one is attached to it, and can still damage enemies that will get caught by it. This feature of Fizz’s ultimate can be used to clear minion waves fast which is extremely useful when defending the Nexus.
Early Game Trade:
1st – AA – 2nd – AA – 3rd (disengage)
Long Range Assassination:
Ult – 2nd – 3rd – 1st – AA – Flash out
Short Range Assassination:
Ult – 2nd – 1st – AA – 3rd
Fizz Early Game Guide
Fizz is a melee mage champion so expect to lose most matchups in the early game. Being a melee champion in the middle lane, expect to be harassed heavily by ranged champions. Your goal in the early game is to survive and wait it out. You have strong level 3 and level 5 power spikes.
Power spike – A point in the game where your champion gains significantly more strength and be able to dish more damage.
Your first mission in the game is to reach level 3 with a good amount of health. It’s okay to be pushed back under your turret. You can get all the minion last hits under your turret using your 2nd, Rending Wave.
When you reach level 3 where you’ll have access to all your abilities. You can start fighting back now. Use the early game trade combo to activate Electrocute and deal good amount of damage. If you successfully pull off a full combo, you’ll be able to kill your enemy with a second combo + Ignite but do not force it.
Wait for your enemy to make mistakes or waste their CC or movement abilities before going in. Do not hesitate to use your 3rd, Playful/Trickster to evade the enemy’s CCs. You can always do your combo later.
But if you manage to evade the enemy’s CC without using 3rd, Playful/Trickster. Do your combo, they won’t be able to fight back.
Once you reach level 5, you’ll be able to kill a full HP enemy non-tank champion if you manage to pull off a full distance ultimate. But you can safely kill any 3/4 HP enemy with a full combo.
Fake a gank by walking to a bush, if your enemy proceeds to focus on last hitting, they’ll be vulnerable to your ultimate.
You can either choose to kill your enemy laner and gain more advantage or gank another lane, preferably the dragon lane.
If you recall back to base to buy an item, look for an overextended lane because your enemies will less likely suspect a gank coming from you if you recall compared to just walking down the lane.
Always look for opportunities to kill every time your ultimate is available but don’t forget to clear the minion waves in your lane before ganking.
Fizz Late Game Guide
Fizz is an AP assassin and so you’ll have to be opportunistic when choosing when to engage.
Wait for your tank to initiate fights and only use your ultimate if you are sure that it will hit a squishy champion. Using your ultimate on tanks or fighters is a waste.
Also, take a mental note of who recently used their Stasis Enchant because it is a hard counter to your ultimate.
Use your abilities in quick succession then hide while its on cooldown. Look for another way to flank the enemy or hide behind your tanks then enter the fight again once your abilities are available.
Fizz Video Guide
For our Fizz Wild Rift Guide, we highly recommend using him with the following champions as they synergize well with him.
Shyvana’s Dragon’s Descent knocks enemies on its path towards her target area and brings them closer together which makes them all vulnerable to your Chum of the Waters.
Malphite‘s Unstoppable Force is a superior initiation tool that can be used to set-up a great Chum of the Waters. This combo can potentially Ace a team.
Yasuo’s Last Breathe can be used on an enemy champion that is knocked-up by Chum of the Waters. This combo ensures the death of the unlucky target.
All Fizz Wild Rift Counter Champions
In this section, we’ll specifically show champions that can easily counter Fizz in Wild Rift.
Ahri has more than enough mobility from her Spirit Rush, to keep up with Fizz. And one Charm from Ahri can spell the death of Fizz. Although, without her Spirit Rush, Ahri is fish food for Fizz. She has the range advantage and will always try to bully you out of the lane. Keep your head down under the turret and bait her charm out before engaging on her.
Orianna is a lane bully which is harder to deal with than Ahri. She has an extremely long range with her skills which has low cooldowns. You can never burst her down because of her shield and she has fast movement speed. Do not expect to win the lane against Orianna so pressure other lanes instead because she has less ganking capabilities than you but she is much stronger on team fights compared to you.
Zed is an equal match up with you so it will boil down to whose more skilled. This type of lane is called a skilled matchup. Hide behind your minions so if you get hit by his shurikens, you’ll receive less damage. Wait for him to use his shadows before engaging on him. If you hit him with your ultimate, wait for the knock up before getting close because he will try to evade the shark using his own ultimate. And if you are hit by his ultimate, dodge his abilities using your E, Playful/Trickster. Do not use Playful/Trickster to avoid the mark damage because it will still damage and kill you.
Pros & Cons About Fizz
Here are some pros and cons if you are playing with Fizz in Wild Rift.
- Fizz has extremely high burst damage. he can kill most champions with just one combo.
- He is a deadly assassin but can still have the team fight potential of a traditional mage.
- High mobility. Fizz can be annoying to deal with when the summoner is proficient with his 3rd, Playful/Trickster.
- Strong snowball potential. If you have a strong early game, you will be able to bully everybody on the enemy team.
- Generally a high risk, high reward hero. Fizz can be hard to play in the mid lane when faced with long range and poke-type champions.
- Missing his ultimate is a huge dip in his damage output in team fights.
- He has a relatively high learning curve. You might find yourself dying a lot in your first few games with Fizz especially if you are new to the game.
FAQ's About Fizz in Wild Rift
How good is Fizz in Wild Rift?
Fizz is a (Tier S) champion. He is a safe pick who can handle all matchups and if you enjoy his playstyle, you’ll be able to be good enough with him to be capable of defeating S tier champions.
What role / lane should I play with Fizz in Wild Rift?
Fizz is a melee mage assassin that is played in the middle lane. He has a strong level 5 power spike and is fairly mobile which means he is a good ganker and that makes him a great mid lane pick. He can also be played as a jungler but that’s an off-meta choice.
What abilities do I level up with Fizz?
His 3rd, Playful/Trickster is the ability he has to max first because it is Fizz’s main outplay tool. It allows him to dodge enemy’s abilities plus it deals a lot of damage to boot.
What items should I build with Fizz?
Fizz can be build a wide variety of AP items but his core items are Lich Bane and Rabadon’s Deathcap which grants him huge burst damage.
What Runes should I use when playing as Fizz?
He works best with the Electrocute Keystone Rune because he is a burst damage champion. His other runes are Brutal, Regeneration, and Hunter – Genius.
Any tips so I can aim my fizz's ultimate better?
Missing Chum of the Waters is frustrating for Fizz players. To increase your chances, make sure that the enemy is not focused on you when you cast it. You can do it easily by casting it under the bush or when the enemy is fighting your allies. You can also hide the animation for your ultimate by casting your first ability, Urchin strike first then immediately casting Chum of the Water while in the dashing animation.