Recommended Lane: Baron Lane
Malphite is a massive living stone with tremendous elemental strength. Malphite is a tank champion with one of the strongest initiation ultimate in Unstoppable Force. He is a popular pick because of his strong team fighting and his unshakable defenses against physical damage.
Shield 65 damage (10% maximum HP) after not taking damage for 8s.
Launches a shard that deals 70 magic damage (70 + 50% AP), slowing the target by 15%, and hasting Malphite by 15% for 3s.
Passive: Gains 7 Armor (15% Armor).
Active : For the next 6 seconds, attacks deal 15 physical damage (10 + 20% AP + 10% Armor) in a cone. The first attack is empowered to deal 39 bonus physical damaage (30 + 40% AP + 20% Armor) to the target.
Slams the ground, dealing 66 magic damage (50 + 50% AP + 35% Armor) to nearby enemies and reducing their attack speed by 30% for 3s.
Charges to the target area, dealing 200 magic damage (200 + 90% AP) and knocking up nearby enemies for 2s.
Innate: Granite Shield
Malphite passively gains a shield based on his max HP after a short while away from battle.
Take advantage of his passive by waiting for the shield to return before engaging in a trade against. Repeat over the course of the early game to gain an HP advantage over the enemy before reaching level 5 so you’ll have a big advantage once you have an ultimate so you can decide if you want to go on an all-in to kill your enemy laner.
Q / Ability 1: Seismic Shard
Seismic Shard is a single target spell which deals magic damage and slows the enemy and hastens Malphite for the same amount.
This ability is great for poking in the early game as it is unavoidable once casted.
In the later stages of the game, it is best to use it against the enemy’s ADC or bruiser so you can kite them out or kill them outright.
W / Ability 2: Thunderclap
Thunderclap is the core ability of Malphite’s defense because it passively grants bonus armor.
Its active component grants bonus damage, more on the first attack, and makes your auto attack deal damage in a small conal area.
Thunderclap is also an auto attack reset so if you are in melee range of an opponent, attack once then activate this ability to land another attack in quick succession.
This ability works against towers and you can clear the minions under the tower quickly as well by adjusting your attacks towards the turret to hit the minions as well while Thunderclap is active.
E / Ability 3: Ground Slam
Ground Slam is an AoE ability which slows down the attack speed of affected enemies at the same time.
Use this ability to impair the damage output of their ADC especially after using your ultimate, Unstoppable Force. If you are going to do this, wait until the very last second the knock up ends so you’ll make full use of the debuff.
Ground Slam’s damage scales with your armor so its damage increases even if you are building as a pure tank. Due to this, leveling up your W, Thunderclap, will also help with Ground Slam’s damage.
R / Ultimate: Unstoppable Force
Unstoppable Force is a near instant dash which damages and knocks up all enemies around the target area. Like its name, this ability cannot be stopped.
Hitting all five champions of the enemy team is the ideal scenario but it is a rare sight because as you rank up, players will try to avoid sticking together so they won’t be knocked up by Unstoppable force.
Because of this, hitting two or more champions are usually enough just make sure that you hit the enemy’s ADC or priority target.
You can use Unstoppable Force to move over walls which is especially useful when trying to contest Drakes or Baron.
Burst Damage Combo: Q + W + R + E (Quickly burst down a single target. )
High Utility Combo: R + AA + E + AA + W + Q (Deal continuous damage and makes full use of your debuffs.)
Malphite Build Recommendation
Here are Item Build Recommedations that works on Malphite
This is the standard build on Malphite which focuses on increasing his armor stat which is his biggest defensive strength. If facing a AP heavy team, some changes should be made because Malphite is not naturally as strong against AP champions.
- Dead Man’s Plate – Grants HP and Armor and it increases your movement speed as well which will help on having better positioning for good initiations.
- Plated Steelcaps – Provides armor and a lowers the damage you receive from auto attacks. Build Mercury Treads instead if facing AP heavy team compositions or those with lots of crowd crowd controls. Upgrade with the Stoneplate Enchant for its active that grants bonus max HP to survive clashes you initiate or upgrade with the Glorious Enchant which can be used increase your movement speed for chasing or escaping. It also releases a shockwave upon contact with an enemy champion during its effect which further increases your initiation capabilities. If you are playing on the top lane and your team has difficulty on clashes in the early game, you can opt to buy an early Teleport Enchant so you can always quickly back up your team.
- Iceborn Gauntlet – Grants a good amount of mana and armor and the Spellblade passive which increases your damage output as well as slow down enemies around the attacked enemy. Iceborn Gauntlet also grants a good amount of ability haste which is important for Malphite because his ultimate has a long cooldown.
- Thornmail – Deals back a portion of the enemy’s damage who auto attacks you and it scales with your armor so you’ll deal a good amount of damage against ADCs with this item. It also applies Grievous Wounds to your attackers.
- Abyssal Mask – Increases your HP, Mana, and magic resist. It also grants the Abyssal passive which increases the magic damage taken by enemies around you which will increase your damage output and your APC’s as well.
- Randuin’s Omen – Decreases the damage output of ADCs against you because champions attacking you will have their critical damage output and attack speed reduced.
This item build is excellent when playing as a mid lane Malphite AP carry. This item build will make you deal extreme amounts of damage against the enemy team in a short while.
- Luden’s Echo – Grants additional magic damage to your abilities. Especially useful for harassing when combined with your Q, Seismic Shard.
- Awakened Soulstealer – Grants additional ultimate haste every unique takedown. Ultimate haste works just likes the ability haste but it only affects your ultimate’s cooldown which is enough because Unstoppable Force has a long cooldown.
- Ionian Boots of Lucidity – Increases your ability haste and spell haste as well which reduces your summoner spell cooldowns.
- Rabadon’s Deathcap – This item provides the highest AP so your damage output will skyrocket after building this item.
- Lich Bane – Your single target burst damage output will rise to another level thanks to this item’s Spellblade passive which grants additional magic damage to your attack after using an ability.
- Void Staff – Grants the highest amount of magic penetration which raises your damage output against tanks to another level.
- Aftershock – Grants bonus resistance after using a crowd control on an enemy team then deal AoE damage afterwards which is perfect for Malphite because you’ll often find yourself in the middle of the enemy’s team due to your ultimate. Aery is a good alternative rune because you’ll harass your enemies non-stop in the laning phase using your Q, Seismic Shard.
- Weakness – Increase the damage received of the enemies you slow or knock up. Brutal can be a substitute if you are going to play as a mage because it will give you additional damage and penetration.
- Backbone – Grants additional resistance based on which of the two is lower. This will help compensate against Malphite’s lack of defense against magic damage.
- Hunter – Genius – Grants additional ability haste per unique takedown. This is important because your ultimate, Unstoppable Force has a long cooldown.
Ignite will allow you to finish off enemies who survive your combo because Malphite lacks the mobility after using his ultimate.
Flash grants Malphite additional offensive and defensive options. Remember that Flash cannot buffer Unstoppable Force so if you want to do a long range set-up, do the Flash first because casting your ultimate.
Q, Seismic Shard, is acquired at level one for harassing or last hitting but it is maxed last if going for the tank build. But if you are going to play with the AP build, you’ll want to max this ability first. W, Thunderclap, is maxed first because of its armor bonus so you’ll become tankier fast but it is maxed last when playing with the AP build. E, Ground Slam, is maxed second in both builds. Put a point in your ultimate whenever possible.
Yasuo’s Last Breathe is an extremely strong folow up to Malphite’s Unstoppable Force because it extends the duration of the knock up which leaves no room for the enemy to counter attack your initiation.
Gragas is a tough matchup for Malphite because he deals magic damage, he can toughen up himself and heal himself. And he can mess up your initiation because his ultimate is a good counter initiation ability which works by damaging and scattering your team.
Here are some pros and cons if you are playing with Malphite in Wild Rift.
- Malphite has one of the strongest initiation abilities in the game. It is near instant and reacting to it is a tough task. One ultimate is enough to win the game when landed in the right place and time.
- Malphite has one of the highest armor in Wild Rift and it makes him extremely strong as a tank and peeler for his team.
- He has wide range of offensive utility with the knock up and slow and he has defensive utility in his attack speed reduction debuff.
- Malphite has no innate defenses against AP champions which makes him vulnerable against them.
- Malphite has limited pressure when his ultimate is on cooldown and it is a long cooldown. If you miss your ultimate, your contribution to the team drops significantly.